Monday, February 8, 2010

What We Have Here....Is A Failure To Communicate

I work at Zellers. Which in case you're unaware is like the less-evil Canadian version of Wal-Mart. Most people will complain and bitch about it. How it's a terrible job and it sucks. I'll usually at least half-assedly defend it. It's not really that bad. Sure, most customers are a fist full of assholes and stuff doesn't work correctly and there isn't really anything you can do about it. And you gotta work with grumpy old people with a complex that they should get different treatment b/c their older or have been there longer and high school girls that are all nervous and air-headed and twitchy and you say anything to them their like I dunno, nothing, giving you that look, but it's not THAT bad. (That's a ridiculous run-on sentence. Diane would smack me :P) You know what they say: We are doing the work of pathetic, lazy morons (sidebar-- that's probly one of my favorite lines from Adventureland.) There is fun to be had at times and a handful of the people you work with are awesome.

I generally don't mind working with the teens 7 years younger than me. I try and be friendly, make conversation and get along with them. However what really annoys me is when the disconnect between us kinda rears it's head and you get the current situation where most people see me as some kind of store pervert b/c some of them think I was asking them out just b/c I happened to be trying to be polite and friendly and asked them what they were doin on the weekend. I can assure you that was not my intention. I was pretty angry after being informed of this and people not believing me. Kinda felt the need to rip into a few people but I'm over that now.

It's really not too surprising that I don't feel involved and included most of the time in most situations. I'm kinda lookin forward to most likely quitting when it's time for my practicum. Even tho practicum and the time period afterwards frightens me. I don't think I'm gonna get a very good one. I put audio production as the top thing I wanted to do... no, I don't know why I did that. B/c I'd much rather doin board-op or on-air. oi.

End transmission

2 comments:

Jake Hammell said...

I understand completely! I have the problem that the second I ask around about a girl it's instantly "OMG! Jake's totally in love! Let's spread gossip."

I actually got a lecture from a drunk girl about how I shouldn't bang her friend because I'm a lying, cheating, SOB. I don't know where that came from, but it was very unappreciated. If anything, the diatribe I was subjected to prodded me in the other direction.

Anyway, I've got good news for you Brett, you can do production and board op at the same time. In fact, in some stations it's mandatory. And these days, you gotta be able to be on-air and do some production. At least enough to be able to cobble together a decent sounding, basic, ad. Be sure when you're on practicum to volunteer to do absolutely everything, no matter how badly you don't want to do it too. Interns who work like slaves get jobs, or at least good references and make friends they can count on in the future.

Maxwell ! said...

I think people read into thing what they want Brett. SO when you ask people what they're doing on the weekend and they take it as you're being a creepy dude that is just them being short sighted. But the problem lies slightly with you. Not that you are to blame, but you mentioned you felt like ripping into some people but you didn't, you let it pass. You've now let them make you the fool. Sometimes you need to rip into people. Sometimes you need to let fly. I'm sure you recall some of my rants that you always said were harsh. They were harsh, I was riled up and said what I felt at the time. People heard it and I would also wager you've never seen someone else make me the fool. It's because they know guns will blaze. They're the idiots, not you, don't let them make you the fool.

Jake hit the nail on the head. You can put production down on your practicum, but chances are quite good you will do a little everything. Also, I think you've been looking at things wrong. You tend to think that there is on air, board op or production. not true. there are around 50 people that work at my station. there is tons of work behind the scenes in radio that you very much could do.

-Chris