Monday, April 4, 2011

BEDA

So it was my intention to do BEDA or Blog Every Day in April but I never really got around to starting it. I'm a couple days late. That's procrastination for ya. So I'm not gonna be doing BEDA but I am gonna try for at least more than one blog a month. For this one, I figured I would share some of my recent radio show discussions from my segment Who The Fuck Is Justin Bieber? Most of my writing is better read than spoken I think anyway. The segment is basically about things people obsess about. My attempt at being clever haha. This is from last week.

This week’s topic is the debate between original movie ideas and remakes and sequels. People have complained for the last 5 or 6 years about the amount of remakes and sequels there are. A number that continues to rise. According to website boxofficemojo, there are a record 27 remakes or sequels coming out this year. As always, movie studios are all about the money and generally see rehashed ideas as a safer bet than an original idea. Look at recently axed Guillermo Del Toro movie At the Mountains of Madness. Even with a visionary director, James Cameron as producer and Tom Cruise rumoured for the lead, it still couldn’t get made because of the Hard R rating and massive budget it called for and studio executives didn’t wanna take the risk.

But what of movies that do get made? If you look into it, 2 common traits will appear. Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, for example, awesome as it is was criminally underseen in theatres making only $47 million worldwide. The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street that pretty much everyone hated, made $115 million. Sucker Punch made $19 million in it’s opening weekend. Highly entertaining as it is tho, it’s very similar to Scott Pilgrim in that it’s not the sort of movie everyone will like and will probably go on to make a comparably disappointing amount. The Ring Two, generally looked down upon, made $161 million total.

So that got me thinking, maybe the problem is that people just aren’t used to seeing weird, different, original movies anymore. Think about it. The last decade at the very least has seen a large decrease in the number of different content. Especially in the horror world, a lot of wide release is recycled plots and ideas. Studios don’t want ideas like Inception, they don’t agree with the message of Kick Ass. Their scared by the Human Centipede. Movies are getting sanitized and risk free. Only problem is their cleaning out the wrong areas.

And this is about Ryan Murphy and Glee.

First of all, straight forward, I don’t like Glee. I don’t like what it is and I don’t like what it represents. I don’t get ‘it’ I guess. What’s the big deal with it?

It’s not well acted other than veteran professionals like Jane Lynch and it’s horribly over produced. I’ve watched a couple of times and I could swear all the songs sound more or less the same. I think the only worse case of a song being over produced I’ve heard is Rebecca Black. *Sidebar* If you’ve watched this video, Holy monotone Batman. You’d think it was Wednesday Addams from the Addams Family singing.

Speaking of youtube, If I wanted to hear subpar versions of classic songs, that’s where I’d go. It’d be less annoying. And that’s basically what this is. It’s a big budget highly autotuned version of amateurs singing on youtube.

Moving on to the show’s eponymous creator Ryan Murphy- how swelled is this dude’s head? He got lucky with one fluke hit show and now he thinks he can lip off any far more talented musician that he wants. First it was Slash, calling him a washed up has been. Then Kings of Leon. And now he’s likely going to be fighting with Dave Grohl.

The Foo Fighters frontman blasted him in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter recently, although I’m gonna switch out the salty pirate language for something a little friendlier. "It's every band's right, you shouldn't have to do ‘puppy’ Glee," Grohl said. "And then the guy who created Glee is so offended that we're not, like, begging to be on his ‘puppy’ show... ‘puppy’ that guy.

I will at some point get around to posting some audio bits.

2 comments:

Jake Hammell said...

Good stuff man. A radio in Grande Prairie has recently started playing the "Glee" versions of songs. I don't really see why they would though. Glee just turns every genre it covers into pop, and like you said, it all sounds the same.

I even heard a Glee cover of a Justin Bieber song. The kid's has been around for what, two years? And already he's getting covered by this show? What the hell is up with that?

But in the end, the isn't directed at us, nor do it's producers and advertisers care if we're watching. The best we can do is it ignore it.

The sad thing is, in 15 years everything Glee did will be considered a classic, much like you still hear the odd song from Grease on the radio. It's never going to go away, and unlike Grease, Glee's library is bigger and more expansive.

BC said...

yeh but I don't know. I'm not sure I agree about Glee songs still being around years down the road. Just seems like ones of those things nobodies gonna care about 10 years from now. Like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? That show was big and nobody has cared about it for several years even though it's still on and being made.