Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dexter

So there's this show Dexter. It's about a Miami police blood splatter expert, Dexter Morgan, who helps catch serial killers while at the same time, he's a serial killer. The only person who knows (his father) passed away a couple years ago. Dexter's father was also a cop and he was instrumental in helping Dexter figure out his "urge" I'll say, for lack of a better word, to kill things. He taught him how to do it right and use it constructively to help society by only killing people who deserve it, who are hurting other people.

It originally ran on Showtime, one of those premium pay stations like HBO, but CBS bought the distribution rights to show an edited version of the first season Sundays at 9 pm. I started watching it and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. It's the combination of people being killed along with sporadic moments of dark humour. It's really a great show from top to bottom. It's well written and it's got great actors in it.

Michael C. Hall does a really good job of portraying the main character. An adopted boy, who knows he's different from everyone else. He doesn't think or feel the same way as most people do so he has to work at faking it. He's also got a girlfriend on the show, as he likes to say "she's perfect because she's just as screwed up as me." She's still getting over her previous husband who was abusive. It makes it interesting to watch the interactions between them with Dexter trying to figure out relationship stuff. That's part of one thing I really like about the show. It has a lot of depth and the characters have many different layers to them. I can relate to the show. Feeling like you don't fit in, like you don't understand other people or how to act. Doing the small talk and all the little pithy every day things people do.

3 comments:

Burning Star IV said...

Know what we need? We need to find you a chick that had an ex-husband that was abusive, you'd be down with that, right? All things aside, fitting in is boring, I tried it once. Small talk's easy when you're rarely shut up. PHJAAA!

6KM said...

Going to say I was not a huge fan of the show. Can't remember where I saw an episode but I have watched one. I like to give every t.v. show a chance. Whether it be some pussycat doll show to lost to some reality show on TLC. So of course I had to give this one a shot. Didn't appeal to me. Maybe it was the episode or something else but I have know intentions of watching another episode. I understand why people like it though. I'm sure it appeals to some people such as yourself but for whatever reason it's just not for me.
Also though I never watched it from the start so that may it big factor seeing how I was confused to what was going on in the show.
Yeah that's it. If it's cheap on DVD I might consider picking it up.

BC said...

yeh it would be slightly confusing if you just watched a random episode.